Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Fatassitus...I has it!

Just got back from beautiful Costa Rica.  Not the most optimal place for a chubby ultra white guy to vacation but, in spite of the sun, I had an absolutely amazing time.

As I sit here behind the keyboard once again, I can't help but reflect on the totally foreign way of life that is embraced by the Costa Rican people.

Pura Vida, in English means pure life, and while I'm sure there is a great deal that is rolled into that idea, I can't help but latch on to one part of it.  Costa Ricans, at least the ones I had the great pleasure to meet, are an extremely laid back people.

Its refreshing.  Damned refreshing!!

I've never felt a great desire to be a super successful individual.  I strive to make the money I need to live what I consider to be a comfortable life.

I've never had the drive that some of co-workers have to reach a management position.  I couldn't imagine having to sit in meetings all day, never getting to do what it is I love to do.

In most aspects of my life I'm satisfied.

The one aspect of my life that has always bothered me is my body.  While in Costa Rica, my meal choices tended to be significantly healthier then they usually are.  I ate lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and lean meats.

The first thing I ate when I got home was some chocolate donut holes and Domino's pizza.

I know...way to screw myself.  It even gave me a case of heart burn...it was as if my stomach was trying to smack me in the head for being such a dumbass.

And so in an effort to be a more healthy me I've decided for the next month I will not eat fast food.  No Domino's, no China Garden, no McDonald's.  I'm going to stay away from deep fried foods all together and I'm even going to swear off ice cream and other processed sweets.

In other words I'm going to try and diet.  Not the usual diet where you eat like a bird and pray to lose weight by starving every single minute of every single day.  I'm going to keep it simple.  Just don't eat something that is absolutely terrible for you.  I'm afraid this will be anything but simple.

I plan to journal my temptations here as much as time will allow.  Hopefully my successes will be many and my failures non-existent, but I'm not fooling myself.  I know there will be times when I cave, but I'm NOT going to let failure continue to be the trend in this aspect of my life.

I know this is a little off topic for me, but it seems that life has been giving me signs for a while now and up to this point I've ignored them.  But as Bob Dylan says..."times they are a changing"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish you good luck, I don't want them to have to amputate your toes. Btw, I grew up near the Costa Rican border and ticos are considered the a-holes of central america. They were just after your big fat gringo wallet :p

Unknown said...

Jokes on them...my gringo wallet is none too fat.