Monday, August 16, 2010

Monday Weigh in #1

So I figure Monday morning will be the best time to do my weigh ins.  My logic for this is that in most cases dietary awfulness is most likely to strike on the weekends...at least for me.  I get into a game or I'm out with friends and it's really easy to just go and grab something instead of cooking for myself.

Anyway, back to the business at hand.  I'm aware that a number does not define who I am but, as a man of science, or at least one that likes science, I need some measure of how things are progressing and is there a better way to measure weight loss then by measuring my weight?

On a side note, I just restarted Pandora on my phone cause I couldn't hear any music.  The real reason I couldn't hear any music was because I had the headphones attached to my computer on instead of the ones from the phone.  *facepalm*

So the big number is 283.  To be honest I'm not feeling too bad about that number.  The last time I got weighed at the doctor's office I was more like 305.  So I guess 20 lbs isn't too bad for having changed virtually nothing in my lifestyle except that I've joined the company softball team at work.

I've also thought long and hard about setting a weight loss goal and honestly I'm not sure I can.  Looking at BMI and other kinds of weight to hight type charts I should weigh in the range of 180-190 but, that's not realistic.  At least I don't think it is.

Maybe short term goals would be better?  Maybe I'll go like 10 pounds at a time until I start feeling really good.  Actually I really like that idea.

I'm also thinking about doing Couch to 5K again.  The Translator and I made a pretty good run of it a few months ago and life kind of got in the way.  We haven't done any exercise in at least a couple months and I'm not really happy with myself for not continuing on a pretty simple (if exhausting) exercise routine.

For those not in the know, Couch to 5K is basically a walking/jogging/running regimen.  Its a 9 week program that calls for 30 minute exercise sessions.

In that 30 minutes, at least for the first week, you follow these steps:

  1. Stretch...you may feel stupid for stretching to walk/jog but, it really makes a hell of a difference in how you feel at the end of the run.
  2. 5 minute walk...This is meant to be a warm up so try to walk kind of fast.  Not like power walking but not your usual amble either
  3. 60 second jog...You may or may not be able to do this.  I know I have a hard time at first.
  4. 90 second walk...this is meant to help you cool down a little bit and let you breath.  You other chunky white guys know what I'm talking about.
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for about 20 minutes.
  6. 5 minute walk...this time your 5 minute walk doesn't really need to be so fast paced.  This is meant to be a cool down and to keep you from hyperventilating.
This whole process sounds pretty simple but, it's honestly pretty brutal.  Especially if you live in a warmer climate.

Well good luck to all.  I'll make more updates later.  Happy Monday.

No comments: