Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My Fair Lady (3WW)

It is generally my policy to abstain from the consumption of musicals.  I've even gone so far as to ban the playing of The Sound of Music in my home but, last night my fair lady made me watch "My Fair Lady" and I have to say...not that bad.

I could have lived without a few of the songs and certainly 3 hours was a bit excessive but, while I was bored with some songs I was highly entertained by others.  I particularly enjoyed the songs featuring Professor Higgins. There is indeed some merit to pondering the question "Why can't women be more like men?"

And then there's dear Audrey Hepburn...someone put a halo over that woman's head.  She's so beautiful and so charismatic.  You can't help but love her, even when she's playing a simple flower girl.

The basic gist of the story (if you haven't seen it before) is that a well to do professor of phonetics makes a bet with another well to do colonel that he can turn a simple flower girl into a lady simply by altering her way of speaking.  Of course, in the process he empowers the flower girl's confidence and unconscientiously teaches the woman to respect herself.

I won't ruin the end for you though I'm sure you can guess what happens.  Like I said before, all in all a very good movie.  I really enjoyed Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's a lot more, so far as Audrey Hepburn movies go, but this movie is one of the better musicals I've seen in my time.

Anyway...I appreciate the prayer and support in my weight loss endeavors.  I couldn't do it without the Translator, even though she thinks she's a bad influence, she really helps me to remember that I can be strong.  That I can say no to cake...hard as that may be.

This is also, my first time doing 3 Word Wednesday.  I actually really enjoy the idea and it certainly made me pick my words more carefully.

8 comments:

Jeff said...

BEAR MONK!! Did not realize you were trying to cut back as well. I wish you the best of results. Let me link you to my blog, brother. It's in the same vein as Casey's Blog, but with more cursing. LOL

http://overweightrockstar.blogspot.com

anthonynorth said...

That's a great musical. Hope you enjoy 3ww.

Coraline J. Thompson said...

Abstinance is the key! Say no to that cake - or at least to that HUGE half cake and just take a tiny slice!!! Welcome to 3WW, and don't worry, I've been on a 3WW vacation so I've just come back to join in the fun! Great use of the prompts here!

The World of Lost Souls

Carina said...

Pretty much exactly how I feel about that movie. Too long, and with too many songs, but still a classic. =)

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed your post ! welcome to 3WW .. hope to see you more often :)

Unknown said...

I really appreciate all the kind words and I hope you guys enjoy some of my other posts as well.

gautami tripathy said...

Liked it!

reaching out

Ramesh Sood said...

That's a good read..Do visit me for a laugh if you wish to have one..Earlier to that is 3ww.