Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Would you like a side Congestive Heart Failure with your Diabetes?

So recently I watched a show called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution.  In the show Jamie Oliver basically tries to help some families and the school system in what is considered the unhealthiest town in the country.

I found most of the mouth breathers that make the decisions for the schools' menu to be simply despicable.  These people are more worried of cutting corners and making the most easily prepared meal to fit the guidelines set by the federal and local governments.

Regardless of what they tell you at those PTO meetings, they don't give a damn about your children.  They care about one thing and that's keeping their jobs and to do that they have to keep that budget small.  

Being a diabetic myself I know all about the unhealthy choices and how easy it is for me personally to make those unhealthy decisions.

I am overweight and out of shape.

I am a victim of my own laziness.

I am a fool for a good burger and some french fries.

But really, do french fries sound like a vegetable to any of you?  I mean seriously?  It's fried starch.  It's got nothing but carbs and virtually no nutritional value.

So...WTF parents?!?  That's right I said parents.

Why does it take a television crew to make these people see that stuffing french fries and frozen pizza down the throats of their children is a bad thing?

Would you feed your kid nuclear waste for dinner?

Would you take that three eyed fish you caught in Lake Michigan and fry that sucker up for lunch?

Road kill is still good for a few hours right?

The reason I don't lay the blame entirely at the feet of the schools is, because these parents should be more involved with their children.  Even if you can't send a lunch you've made yourself, shouldn't you be aware of what they're getting for lunch?

You ask them where they're going when they walk out the door don't you?  Why wouldn't you ask them what they're eating?  It is a basic function...and no, your children don't know a damn thing about what kind of food is good for them.

By God they know what food tastes good though.  Ask any kid what their favorite day of the week it is for lunch and I'm willing to bet nearly everyone you ask will say pizza. 

Pizza, that golden disc of awesome...is there anything good about it?  Really?  Lets see there's:
  • Crust - Complex Carbs
  • Sauce - More carbs with a dash of vitamins
  • Cheese - Even if its all natural, and lets not kid ourselves about school pizza, it's got a ton of fat and oil.
  • Toppings - When it comes to school pizza it's always pepperoni, and that's nothing but fatty meat by product.  So in theory there's some protein in there.
 So of all the ingredients in a frozen pizza you're children are getting a bit of protein, some vitamins, and a ton of carbs and fat.  I'm no nutritionist but I'm pretty sure that's not good.

Yeah...the polls are in.  Pizza gives you diabetes and a fat ass to boot.

Now I've eaten my fair share of frozen pizza, probably more then my fair share.  But even my fat ass knows that you don't eat that once a week, and certainly not served with french fries for a vegetable.

Over the last few months I've been thinking more and more about the future of my family.  My wife and I want to have children.  We don't want our children to make the same bad decisions as we have.

Hell, who am I kidding?  The bad decisions we still make.

But we're working on it.  We're aware of our bad decisions now and we can afford to do something about it and, for once, we are.  Today, I plan to follow my hour and a half of softball practice with a thirty minute walk/jog.

Practice may not be making me any better at softball but, I've lost about fifteen to twenty pounds since I've started and I feel good.

No comments: