Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Nerd Anticipation Level High

As if you couldn't tell...I'm a nerd.  Glasses on nose and Computer Science degree in hand, most of my interests tend to be pretty stereotypical.  I like crappy fantasy novels, video games, and basically any movie that has lasers, comic book characters, magic, or zombies.

Yes zombies.  I'm not really sure why I love them so much...they just jump into my imagination and manifest into something that scares the crap out of me.  And I love it.

True story...The Translator (my wife,  I think this will be my name for her...thank you Mr. Badass Geek) and I went to see the re-release of Romero's "Dawn of the Dead".  When we got back from the movie we were still pretty jumpy and we decided that we need to indulge in something a little flowery...Bambiesque if you will...to help us calm down before we went to bed.

Armed with images of Bambi's grand escape and Thumper's blossoming family, we climbed into bed with the anticipation of a peaceful night's sleep.  We both got settled in and at that moment the air conditioner kicked on and the change in air flow caused the bedroom door to swing open slowly.

Now, it may have been my imagination but, the door developed a creek and in my mind a zombie was the on the other side.  Thing to know about the Translator, she can't sleep without the door to the bedroom closed.  Not really sure why...we didn't even have dogs at the time.

As the door must now be closed, we commenced with attempts to make the other get out of the comfort of the bed and close the damn thing.  Truth be told the test of wills is a daily event in our house, and it ranges from taking out the trash to getting up to let the dogs outside.  These tests have been known to last for days.

Yes days...we men shouldn't have to be submitted to the double standard of having the trash be our job.

Anyway, this particular test of wills was more intense then usual.  Basically, we were both scared that there was a little zombie girl on the other side of that door.

If you haven't seen Dawn of the Dead, one of the first scenes in the movie is basically this.  One of the main characters and her husband are woken by the sound of their bedroom door opening.  Bleary eyed they can only make out that it's the little girl that they are friends with from their neighborhood.  Of course there's some initial confusion here.  Upon rousing a little more fully, they see that the girl is acting strange and seems to be injured.  They of course fly into panic mode.  The husband leaps to check the wounds (both characters are nurses) and the wife frantically dials 911.  As you may be able to tell, this isn't going to end well for the husband.  The micro-zombie attacks and scores a fine bite to the jugular and the husband is down for the count.  The wife's mind being blown, she basically throws the child out into the hallway and closes the door.  She fights the losing battle to save her husband who, of course, has turned into a zombie.  He attacks, yada, yada, yada.

And in my mind my argument is, I'm not a damn nurse and I can't help the little zombie in the hall, outside our bedroom.  Therefore, the Translator should get up and close the door.  My cowardice at this point has become legendary in the house and I'm sure she will tell this tale for years to come.  Surprisingly, after a few minutes of arguing and me trying to justify leaving the door open, my cowardice prevails!!

You're damn right I made her get up and shut that door.  There's no telling what's under that bed or out in that dark hallway.

Anyway, back to my nerdy anticipation.

I saw the first preview for the newest Romero "...of the Dead" movie, "Survival of the Dead".  It actually looks like it'll be a lot of fun. The premise for this one isn't really all that clear in the preview but, upon some research it appears as though there's two families living on an island off the eastern coast and they're feuding during this wonderful zombie apocalypse.

There's also some talk of a cure for the undead.  I kind of like this relatively new angle (new for Romero at least).  It's a lot more hopeful then Romero tends to be.  The zombies in most films are simply an obstacle to be overcome and there is no hope of recovering their humanity.

Another source of extreme anticipation for me is the premiere of "Iron Man 2".  Lasers and comic book characters = PURE WIN.  I've been waiting for this one since the first time I saw "Iron Man".  Could Mickey Rourke look anymore awesome as Whiplash?  And what about Scarlet Johansson?  Smoking hot already and now they're gonna put her in skin tight leather?

Casting based strictly on looks for these two roles would be enough for me, but to top it all off, they're both amazing performers.  I can't wait.

And then, most importantly of all, WAR MACHINE.  Enough said.  I hate that they had to replace the original actor for Rhodey, but damn what a choice.  I can't think of anything I've ever seen Don Cheadle in that I didn't love.  I'm really ready to see him have some fun as War Machine.

As I side note...I'm really glad that they didn't decide to buy into the whole 3D fad...it's beginning to feel cheap and not special.  I hate that movies that were initially filmed for a 2D format have been getting shipped off to be made 3D.  Not only does it look like a cheap after thought, it feels insulting.  So far I've resisted seeing this brand of 3D (Alice and Titans).  I do have to say that, when 3D is done right it's really awesome.  Avatar was a beautiful movie, even if the story was a bit boring, and How to Train your Dragon was easily the best movie I've seen this year.

All in all May has me ready and raring for the theaters.  Alamo Draft House here I come.  Keep a pint of Guinness and a bowl of popcorn aside for me and the Translator.

No comments: