Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Urge

I haven't really felt the urge to blog these last few weeks.  I've decided to remain blissfully unaware of all things political since Christmas and frankly I've been in a much better mood for it.

The vast majority of my free time has been spent gaming this past month...probably another contributor to my generally pleasant mood.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood, is fucking amazing.  There are no stunning upgrades to the single player campaign, with the exception of the new guild feature.  The game now allows you to recruit the oppressed people of Rome to your cause and induct them into the Assassin's Guild to train them up and send them out on contract killings and missions of intimidation and/or protection.  If you want to know what the Godfather felt like, this is probably going to be a highlight for you.

I also got Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II.  Also, a pretty badass game.  It's pretty much a hack and slash that has some super shiny effects.  I think the highlight so far has been the ability to play Jedi Mind Tricks on Stormtroopers and force them to either fight on your side or.....wonder over to the edge of that platform and jump the hell off.  That's right folks...you too can force a clone to commit suicide.

And then of course there's Cataclysm.  World of Warcraft's third expansion has completely changed the face of the game...literally.  Along with a lot of new features (Archeology, New Class/Race Combos, etc), the game has become a lot more fun to play outside of dungeons.  The new questing zones are really stunning looking and the story telling that takes place in those zones is wonderful.  So wonderful that I actually already got the Cataclysm Loremaster achievement on my Warlock and frankly I have no issue believing that I'll be doing the same on my Shaman.  For those of you who don't know what "loremaster" means...basically there are 5 new zones for levels 80-85 and I've finished every quest in every one of those zones.  Which is pretty retarded, but a shit load of fun.  I especially recommend the Mount Hyjal quests.  They're really a lot of fun, especially if you've been playing Warcraft games since they were still coming out with the RTSs.

I've also recently put my hands on the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the Wii.  I know I know...I'm a bit late on the Wii boat, but now that I've got one I'm really loving it.  And Zelda is pretty badass.  I love that to attack you have to swing the Wii mote...it feels a lot more immersive and satisfying then it would if I was just smashing an A button.  I'm also really fund of the art direction they went with on this game.  It harkens back to the N64 Ocarina of Time.  While the Wii doesn't shine in the graphics department, it definitely fills its niche with lots of lower graphic alternatives that make it really easy to overlook the 480p.

That's all for now folks.  I promise I'll try and write something a little more irate and angsty in the next couple of weeks.  I'm sure that Sarah Palin will do something even more fucking stupid then her latest ridiculousness.

8 comments:

Witless Exposition said...

Yeah! Online proof that you aren't dead. :)

After watching you play it through, I still think I'd like to try the Assassin's Creed game.

Who knows, I might try Zelda, too.

Lorraine said...

I think I must've missed your posts because I actually read through a whole thing about video games! Aw. How warm and fuzzy.

Lor

Brans~Muffin said...

This post didn't win you but your Mr Sprinkles Post did WIN YOU THE LOL AWARD ON MY PAGE!!!!

Unknown said...

Hey wow! Thanks Brans. I really appreciate the recognition.

CkretsGalore said...

Hey...psst come back from the world of WOW! I miss your posts.

We're downloading RIFT right now. Should be interesting.

Unknown said...

Oh you got on the Rift beta as well huh? I downloaded it and gave it a try a couple weekends ago.

I'll try and come up with some snarky commentary in the next week or so and see if I can come up with a post.

CkretsGalore said...

I've been hooked on RIFT. Get my ass handed to as a Rogue - Guardian mind you.
Oh well, it eats up plenty of time of which I could use to be productive but naaaaaaaah.

Unknown said...

All I can say at this point is that DC Universe has made me cancel my WoW account and now both the Wife and I are engrossed thoroughly.

Seriously...this game is damn well amazing.